On 18.3.2012, at 17.36, Charles Marcus wrote:

> On 2012-03-18 11:15 AM, Timo Sirainen <t...@iki.fi> wrote:
>> Only time when the entire mbox file is rewritten is when you
>> expunge the first message.
>
> Hmmm... wonder if there would be a way to add some kind of 'dummy' first
> message that dovecot would simply ignore (not show to the user), that would
> prevent that bevaior?

Dovecot has such a dummy first message exactly like UW-IMAP. But what I meant
is that if you expunge the first message and you want to free the space used by
it, there's no other choice than to rewrite all of the messages after it. (And
of course the first message isn't special in any way, there's just about as
much of rewriting if you delete the 2nd or 3rd or other messages from the
beginning of the mbox.)