On 13/04/2012 13:21, Timo Sirainen wrote:
On 13.4.2012, at 15.17, Ed W wrote:

On 13/04/2012 12:51, Timo Sirainen wrote:
- Use the checksums to assist with replication speed/efficiency (dsync or
custom imap commands)
It would be of some use with dbox index rebuilding. I don't think it would help
with dsync.
..
- File RFCs for new imap features along the "lemonde" lines which allow clients
to have faster recovery from corrupted offline states...
Too much trouble, no one would implement it :)
I presume you have seen that cyrus is working on various distributed options?
Standardising this through imap might work if they also buy into it?
Probably more trouble than worth. I doubt anyone would want to run a
cross-Dovecot/Cyrus cluster.

No definitely not. Sorry I just meant that you are both working on similar things. Standardising the basics that each use might be useful in the future

That can almost be done already .. the attachments are saved and accessed via a
lib-fs API. It wouldn't be difficult to write a backend for some key-value
databases. So with about one day's coding you could already have Dovecot save
all message attachments to a key-value db, and you can configure redundancy in
the db's configs.

Hmm, super.

Ed W