On 10/16/2012 6:14 PM, Fred Kilbourn wrote:
I've had squat running on dovecot 2.0 and have been updating all users
mailbox indexes nighty via cron with this command:

doveadm -v search -A text xyzzyx

I've just updated to 2.1 and I'm migrating to lucene indexes, but reading
the documentation I'm having a hard time understanding the semantic
differences between indexing and rescanning.

If I were to continue to run an all user all mailbox index every night,
would that be appropriate?

Would running this every night avoid the need to ever rescan?

2 sets of indexes.

dovecot indexes
FTS indexes

Performing the cron search will update the FTS indexes, although you should read up on 2.1's doveadm index command. The dovecot indexes should stay in sync. However, if they do lose track of the FTS indexes, you can do a rescan to sync them back up. Except for corruption or index changes made outside of dovecot, the two sets of indexes should stay in sync.

Jack