On 26/03/2013 13:39, Jan Phillip Greimann wrote:
Hi there,

I read an article about dovecot 2.2, which includes the LEMONADE extensions, and was fascinated about the feature "Forward without download". We have a small internet-uplink in our office and our CEO loves to receive mails with large attachments, he also reply/forward it, so every time the full attachments get downloaded and uploaded again. Now the question is: Is LEMONADE supported by desktop-mailclients like thunderbird or just mobile Clients? (Google said nothing to this, maybe searched the wrong words)

I hope someone can help me with this.

Which client are you using?

My understanding is that you will need an SMTP server which supports such a feature. Apple patch Postfix to support this using the BURL extension, however, for whatever reason the patch has not been picked up by Postfix:

http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/postfix/postfix-229/patches/burl.patch

I think it would be worth rattling the postfix list to see if it could be reviewed

Note, my favourite solution would be a new RFC which triggers Dovecot to pass to SMTP a specified message from a specified folder. This would then mean you can use all the IMAP features to compose your message on the server, probably bypassing lots of downloading. Further it would mean no duplicated data when moving the message to the Sent Folder since such an operation would be all done and tracked via IMAP. So you would compose the message in "Outbox", ask Dovecot to send it, then (possibly atomically) move it to Sent folder.

However, a) there is no such RFC and b) there is no client mailer which supports it. I think Apple might be the people to rattle to get such an idea off the ground though - they seem to have the desire to make it happen (add in K9 developers and submit a patch to Mozilla and at least there would be basic groundwork...)

Cheers

Ed W