Just a guess, but I expect the difference is because NetApp de-dupes
by checksumming blocks and mark whole blocks as duplicates if they
have the same checksum.

True, the start of the message is always at byte 0, but because of
different header length per user for the same message (different mail
address with different lengths) the body will never start at the same
byte.

Oh yes, that's right.  I confused maildir format with sendmail
queue files that separates header and body.  There is still some
similarlity for mass mailouts to the same mail domain: they will
have almost identical headers +/- message IDs and a few bytes
here and there, but as you say, SiS is the way to go for deduping
bulky message attachments.

Joseph Tam <jtam.h...@gmail.com>