Hi Frank, list,

There is an option to fiddle (mentioned in the blog) to tell SOME MS
 software to ignore name mismatches. Make a wish and try it :-)

True, but:
Unfortunately it’s either on or off; you can’t set it to ignore a
mis-match for particular names only. Because of the risk that someone
might be impersonating your bank, you’d probably be best to leave
this one checked and put up with the red warnings.

So I think I'll just regenerate my certificate to match the hostname alias we use, instead of the actual hostname.

Anyway: your blog is appreciated, thank you! :-)