On 11/25/2014 04:49 AM, 24x7ser...@24x7server.net wrote:
thanks for your reply

i intentionaly put the wrong password and checked the dovecot log and the
message i got was

# tail -f /var/log/dovecot.log | grep "x...@yyy.com"
Nov 25 08:47:46 imap-login: Info: Aborted login (auth failed, 1 attempts in 2 secs):
user=<x...@yyy.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1,
secured, session=<xObTWqYIwgB/AAAB>

but in the squirrelmail login page instead of the message "unknown user or password
incorrect" i get the message

ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.
Query: LOGOUT

in my old server where it is working correctly dovecot logs shows the error

Nov 25 14:46:12 imap-login: Info: Aborted login (auth failed, 1 attempts):
user=<"x...@yyy.com">, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, secured

and squirrelmail gives the error : "unknown user or password incorrect" which
is correct.

is there any other place i need to check or some other config file (either
squirrelmail or dovecot) that i need to modify

could you kindly guide me

Something like

$ telnet 192.168.9.11 143
Trying 192.168.9.11...
Connected to 192.168.9.11.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE STARTTLS LOGINDISABLED] Dovecot ready.
1 login gedalya 1234
* BAD [ALERT] Plaintext authentication not allowed without SSL/TLS, but your client did it anyway. If anyone was listening, the password was exposed. 1 NO [PRIVACYREQUIRED] Plaintext authentication disallowed on non-secure (SSL/TLS) connections.
2 logout
* BYE Logging out
2 OK Logout completed.
Connection closed by foreign host.

(that's how it responds in my specific case as I disallow plaintext login)

Or if you need TLS (like me):

$ openssl s_client -starttls imap -quiet -connect 192.168.9.11:143
depth=2 C = IL, O = StartCom Ltd., OU = Secure Digital Certificate Signing, CN = StartCom Certification Authority
verify error:num=19:self signed certificate in certificate chain
verify return:0
. OK Pre-login capabilities listed, post-login capabilities have more.
1 login gedalya 1234
1 NO [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Authentication failed.
2 logout
* BYE Logging out
2 OK Logout completed.