On 08 May 2015, at 18:24, Panayiotis Fafakos <p...@wisdomsoftware.net> wrote:

> Do we have a way to keep the user \Seen flags in public folders
> when an email is moved in another folder?
>
> Sample test to reproduce:
> Step a - UserA and UserB have both read the email in PublicFolderA.
> Step b - UserA moves the email to PublicFolderB. UserA still sees the email
> as read (with the \Seen flag), this is expected behaviour and we are ok with
> this.
> Step c - UserB sees the email in PublicFolderB as an unread message!? He is
> puzzled since he has already read this message and asks why this is
> happening. Can we correct this behaviour?

No, there's no way to fix this without major changes to how Dovecot works.

Per-user seen flags are stored in private per-user index files. When user A
moves mail to another folder the shared index and user A's index are updated to
copy the flags. User A doesn't know what other users might have the folder
accessible (and especially both source and destination folder). Even if it did
know, now moving a mail might involve updating a lot of indexes every time a
mail is moved, which is way too slow.

One possible future solution would be to move more towards GMail-like labels
instead of folders. We have beginnings of such code. I'm not sure yet how that
could be made to work with shared folders.