Hi,

I'm not an expert, but am doing something similar (moving messages and training
the spam filter).

To detect the existence of new messages looking directly at the maildir can be
a quick and dirty solution to get a trigger event.

But to move or delete I think you should use  'doveadm' to search for all
messages in your spam directory and get a list of all uids an guids. Then you
can call doveadm again to move vor delete the messages by id.

Just look for "doveadm search/move/purge" in the dovecot wiki.
This should ensure that the indexes stay up to date.