On 2016-11-01 09:47, Tom Sommer wrote:
On 2016-10-31 22:04, Timo Sirainen wrote:

Oct 31 10:52:37 imap(x...@xxxx.xx): Warning: Locking transaction log file /mnt/nfs/xxx.xx/xxx/indexes/dovecot.list.index.log took 31 seconds (syncing) Oct 31 10:52:37 imap(x...@xxx.xx): Warning: Locking transaction log file /mnt/nfs/xxx.xx/xxx/indexes/dovecot.list.index.log took 31 seconds (syncing)

This just means something is being slow. Not necessarily a problem.
Although it could also indicate a deadlock. Is this Maildir? Did you
say you were using lock_method=dotlock?

I removed dotlock some time ago (using director) and switched to:

lock_method = fcntl
mail_fsync = always

With "count" as quota backend I get a lot of these errors on the director:

imap-login: Error: proxy(x...@xxxx.xxx): Login for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:143
timed out in state=2 (after 30 secs, local=xxxxx:58478):
user=<x...@xxxx.dk>, method=CRAM-MD5, rip=xxxx, lip=xxxxx, TLS,
session=<pTl0UTlAV8VWNF5+>

on the server:

imap(x...@xxxx.xxx): Warning: Locking transaction log file
/mnt/nfs/xxxx.dk/xxxxx/indexes/.INBOX/dovecot.index.log took 32
seconds (appending)

Actually this is worse than I thought. I don't know if it's because of the lock, or it's a general bug in 'count', but whenever I switch quota backend to 'count', customers complain that they aren't receiving any mails. Mails are stored correctly on the server, but it seems Dovecot doesn't show them, perhaps due to corrupt/hanging/locked indexes.

So either 'count' is very I/O sensitive by design, and so useless on NFS, or there is some bug in there that breaks indexing.

Using maildir and lmtp.

The only errors I see in the logs, are the ones pasted here.