I don't know how I managed to compile only using direct access of
${imap.user} before since now I get an unknown namespace error on my
test script.

But doing it this way compiles:

require ["environment", "variables", "vnd.dovecot.debug"];

if environment :matches "imap.user" "*" {
  set "u" "${1}"; }
debug_log "Found username: \${u}";
if environment :matches "name" "*" {
  set "n" "${1}"; }
debug_log "Found product name: \${n}";

The output is:

DEBUG: Found username:
DEBUG: Found product name: Pigeonhole Sieve

- For the "imap.user" environment item, you need to add:

require "imapsieve";

Hmm, I had tried that and get this:

error: require command: unknown Sieve capability `imapsieve'

I've already got imapsieve working (per above output, which was
triggered by a COPY action) so it clearly is installed and configured.

This also means that this script will only run from IMAP.

Seems as though it won't compile outside of IMAP either :)

Not if you're not using the sieve_imapsieve plugin for the Sieve
interpreter (sieve_plugins = sieve_imapsieve).

Forgive me, but what other way is there to set it up? Is there any way to successfully compile a script with a require of "imapsieve" from the command line?

- For the "${imap.user}" variable, you need to add:

require "vnd.dovecot.environment";

This implicitly requires "environment", so that could be removed.

It is all in the specifications. :)

You're saying that to access the new imap. namespace vars for
imapsieve that vnd.dovecot.environment is required? I don't find
anything in the specifications that say this.

The RFC says those vars MUST be made available, so presumably it would
be referring to the RFC-standard environment extension and not some
vendor specific one.

Of course it's easy to work with that if this is how it's been built,
but as noted above I can't get it to compile anyway. Though what's the
point of trying to figure out imap.user or imap.email if I'm required
to use vnd.dovecot.environment which already has "username"? :)

The standard "environment" extension [1] does not register a variables
namespace [2] for environment items. So, using a "${env.imap.user}"
variable requires the Dovecot-specific "vnd.dovecot.environment"
extension [3].

But this doesn't work:

require ["environment", "variables", "vnd.dovecot.debug", "vnd.dovecot.environment"];
debug_log "Username: ${env.imap.user}";

Output when running from a COPY event is:

DEBUG: Username:

What did I do wrong here?

In contrast, the normal alternative for this variable
using the "imap.user" environment item will work once the "imapsieve"
extension [4] is require'd. That is a bit cumbersome though, since you
need to put that in a variable with a statement like: if environment
:matches "imap.user" "*" { set "imap_user" "${1}"; }.

I don't see that being too cumbersome, as it's the standard way the environment extension is used, and it's what I expect from reading the RFC. But I understand your point that it's more lengthy than just accessing the variable directly.

So the only issue I see is that the script won't compile on the CLI with the needed require. Is it simply a requirement to have Sieve do run-time compilation for this to work?