Am 12.08.2017 um 10:57 schrieb voy...@sbt.net.au:
I have a Centos 6 server with Dovecot 2.1.17/mysql/virtual domains

I'm setting a new Centos 7 server, and, aim to install 2.2.31 from Ghetoforge

dumb question, can I install 2.3 on new server, then, copy old
/etc/dovecot tree to new /etc/dovecot ?

appreciate any tips and advice,

There are several config option changes between dovecot 2.1.x and 2.2.x (you certainly did not mean 2.3, right?), so you better review your current settings and compare them with /etc/dovecot/conf.d/*.conf files on a fresh install.

I am always when updating doing a diff between the older version original config files and those from newer dovecot release to see what kind of option may have changed or have been added.

Alexander