> On Jun 6, 2018, at 1:41 PM, Timo Sirainen <t...@iki.fi> wrote:
>
> On 2 Jun 2018, at 1.03, Xavier Guerin <li...@applepine.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am using Dovecot 2.2.34p0 on OpenBSD 6.3 stable.
>>
>> I am writting an application using the vmime (http://www.vmime.org)
>> library (x-ref issue: https://github.com/kisli/vmime/issues/199).
>>
>> I noticed through testing over my own e-mail server that in some
>> situations the DATE field is not returned upon ENVELOPE or
>> HEADER.FIELDS request.
>>
>> The e-mails at fault happen to have the DATE field at the very end of
>> the header, after the MIME section.
>
> Can you easily reproduce this with doveadm? I can't, tested with current
> master and v2.2.34. :
>
> % cat << EOF | doveadm save -u tss
> Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2018 17:44:44 -0400
>
> body
> EOF
>
> % doveadm fetch -u tss hdr.date mailbox inbox '*'
> hdr.date: Fri, 01 Jun 2018 17:44:44 -0400
>
> % doveadm fetch -u tss imap.envelope mailbox inbox '*'
> imap.envelope: "Fri, 01 Jun 2018 17:44:44 -0400" "" NIL NIL NIL NIL NIL NIL
> NIL ""
>
> I tested also with your example 2 mail, but it also worked. Maybe there's
> something else special in those mails. If you can reproduce it with the above
> commands, send me the exact mail as attachment that you used?

I reproduced your experiment and it does work. I double checked the raw content
of the message and it turns out that the Date field has actually been omitted.

I originally used “Evolution” to check the message source and apparently this
tool shows the Date field even if it is missing.

I believe this situation will have to be handled by the library I am using.

Thanks !