On Tue, 12 Jun 2018, Walter Ulmke wrote:

... and just want to login using the standard Linux login

Depends on what you which "standard" you mean but I'll just assume
you're using PAM, as suggested by your config.

auth_mechanisms = plain login digest-md5 cram-md5 ntlm rpa apop anonymous

Looks like you did a kitchen sink configuration in hopes something will work,
but it's probably interfering.  Just "plain" and "login" is fine.

passdb {
 driver = pam
}

I don't use PAM, but it looks like you may be a few parameters
short.  Did you install pam/dovecot config?

        https://wiki2.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase/PAM

Joseph Tam <jtam.h...@gmail.com>