For every u...@domain.tld I created a u...@backup.domain.tld where he could look up deleted messages (archive).

I then made u...@backup.domain.tld's cur directory a shared directory to u...@domain.tld but only with read privileges. So, anytime the user wants to read his old messages, he only needs to read his .archive folder, which is u...@backup.domain.tld's cur. No need to make the filesystem read-only.

The difficulty is to make sure that every e-mail, sent or received, gets backed up properly before being deleted. Relying on cron jobs is not an option since the e-mail can be deleted and expunged before the script has a chance to get executed and do the backup. So what I did is to create a hidden sieve filter for every user's **main** mailbox (u...@domain.tld) that automatically creates a copy of every incoming message to the u...@backup.domain.tld mailbox. For outgoing e-mail, one can do a bcc map in postfix (or the equivalent in other SMTP software) that ensures that every sent mail is also sent to user+s...@backup.domain.tld, then you can create a filter in the user's **backup** mailbox (u...@backup.domain.tld) that filters on the user+sent part of the e-mail and stores every e-mail sent to that e-mail address to the .Sent directory in the u...@backup.domain.tld mailbox.

Finally, the backup.domain.tld doesn't even have to be declared in the DNS nor in /etc/hosts and can be entirely virtual to the MTA (for ex. in postfix that would only be added to virtual_mailbox_domains)

Yassine.