On 2 Sep 2019, at 02:08, Alexander Dalloz <ad+li...@uni-x.org> wrote:
> Unless you run a big install with lots of accounts where it can be handy to
> use some sort of meta tool (modoboa, postfixadmin, ...) there is zero need
> for an SQL backend.

It is much easier to manage users, even a few users, via a database than
dealing with local users. (Having manage both for years and years and finally
having moved everyone into a database I’ve spent a lot of time on this, a
database back end is better.

And even without having a large user base, a tool like postfixadmin lets the
user do some of their management themselves (changing passwords, creating
aliases, etc).

> Anyhow, someone like the OP who appears not to be much experienced in the
> field of running his own mail service should not get the idea a database
> backend is what he really needs. Start KISS and master all the complex
> requirements in a simple manner first.

Since local users open a security hole into your mail server, I would argue
that virtual users *is* keeping it simple, also, if you end up with many users
in the future you will need to got to a database of some sort anyway, whether
SQL-like or LDAP like, so you might as well do it from the start. I’d say SQL
is simpler to deal with than LDAP, but I also have more experience with SQL, so
I would.

> Or outsource the task to a mail service provider.

Yes, this is the best choice.

--
Q: how do you titillate an ocelot?  A: you oscillate its tit a lot.