On Mon, 9 Nov 2020, Raymond Herrera wrote:

I am preparing a new server, with Dovecot 2.2.36 and would like to know the currently recommended protocols. Should I stick to what I have? I would prefer to start with the easiest configuration possible, which I will revise later.

This is the command that I have been using to verify the server's functionality:

% openssl s_client -connect localhost:imaps

Implicit SSL (SSL/TLS) has the slight advantage over STARTTLS as a MITM
cannot strip the STARTTLS server banner during the session handshake and
downgrade the client to plaintext.

However the most important security consideration are

        - set SSL version to at least TLS 1.2 to avoid
                known weakness in older versions.

        - set cipher list to avoid weak ciphers.  One of
        many guides

https://github.com/ssllabs/research/wiki/SSL-and-TLS-Deployment-Best-Practices

        - (client) enforce SSL connection (i.e. refuse plaintext
                sessions).

Joseph Tam <jtam.h...@gmail.com>