Just a few comments.

- The below commands drops ALL future connections to the IMAP ports and not just the one from that specific IP address. - It all depends on the ordering of the rest of your iptables rules. A lot of iptables setups have an accept related / established in the top of the INPUT chain and then indeed the traffic will continue as long as the connection is established. If you put a correct drop rule in the top of your iptables INPUT chain it will block all traffic including any related/established.

Fail2Ban is able to insert such a drop rule in the top of the INPUT chain and thereby block all further tries.
This is exactly how I have setup my fail2ban and it works.

The first few lines of my iptables input chain look like this:

  29M 2249M f2b-dovecot  tcp  --  *      * 0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            multiport dports 110,143,993,995 9969K 2545M f2b-sasl   tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0            multiport dports 25,465
9691K 2788M ACCEPT     all  --  lo     *       0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0
 134M  257G ACCEPT     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED

Jan Hugo Prins