On 15/3/23 18:32, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 1:46 AM Aymeric Agon-Rambosson <aymeric.a...@yandex.com> wrote:

    Hello everyone,

    From what I understand of the documentation, it is impossible to
    log in to the dovecot server as root, or as any user not in the
    interval between first_valid_uid and last_valid_uid.

https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/authentication/master_users/

I understand the most common method of authentication used by dovecot is pam.

Pam has no  problem with authenticating root.

Postfix uses dovecot (and hence pam) to authenticate users

If dovecot won't allow root users to access dovecot services directly then that is a dovecot configuration separate from pam or any other authentication method.

https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/authentication/pam/

Jeremy