We are currently struggling with the same situation.

I played around a bit and also found that "old style" subscription seems to be the best option since a layout change is not feasible for us.

For new accounts my current plan is to add a post-login script that touches the subscription file. Dovecot will treat the empty subscription file as old-style since it doesn't have the "V 2" header.

I am still unsure what the downsides are to using "old style" subscription file and why version 2 was even introduced.