Hi all,

I am trying to configure dovecot to accept SASL EXTERNAL authentication with a
client certificate and no password.

I have tried the following configuration:

passdb {
  driver = ldap

  # Path for LDAP configuration file, see example-config/dovecot-ldap.conf.ext
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap-external.conf.ext

  mechanisms = external

  default_fields = noauthenticate=y
}

In the logs I see dovecot correctly negotiate SASL EXTERNAL, but eventually we
reach this line and we fail:

https://github.com/dovecot/core/blob/34a18f5a79bf7eca58e55aff3e1fe69468292d0f/src/auth/passdb-ldap.c#L184

Which is in turn reached by following this code:

https://github.com/dovecot/core/blob/34a18f5a79bf7eca58e55aff3e1fe69468292d0f/src/auth/passdb-ldap.c#L275

In theory, if I understand this correctly, what is missing is a field to say
“don’t try check any password”, which field is this supposed to be?
“nopassword”? “noauthenticate”?

I am happy to patch this, but need some guidance as what the correct approach
is.

Regards,
Graham
—