* Marc Schiffbauer via dovecot:

> Wild guess: you need to explicitely allow for example DEFAULT@SECLEVEL=0
> ciphersuite in postfix to make *your* openssl accept this remote sslv3
> connection

Thanks, Marc. I had thought about this, and have tried various Postfix
parameters related to TLS ciphers and protocols. So far, no dice. In the
meantime, I also ran tests using Swaks, and this resulted in a possible
different route of investigation: Postfix uses a certificate issued by
Let's Encrypt (secp384r1) for both in- and outbound connections with
STARTTLS. If I use the same certificate with Swaks, I see the same error
as I do with Postfix. If I use Swaks *without* specifying a local TLS
certificate, the STARTTLS handshake works:

  === Trying talvi.dovecot.org:25...
  === Connected to talvi.dovecot.org.
  <-  220 talvi.dovecot.org ESMTP Postfix (Debian/GNU)
   -> EHLO ra.horus-it.com
  <-  250-talvi.dovecot.org
  <-  250-PIPELINING
  <-  250-SIZE 104857600
  <-  250-ETRN
  <-  250-STARTTLS
  <-  250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
  <-  250-8BITMIME
  <-  250-DSN
  <-  250 CHUNKING
   -> STARTTLS
  <-  220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
  === TLS started with cipher TLSv1.2:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:256
  === TLS no local certificate set
  === TLS peer DN="/CN=talvi.dovecot.org"

Looks the combination of certificate ciphers and OpenSSL library
versions on my end and on the talvi.dovecot.org end is causing some
bother. The original error message points to a protocol issue, not a
cipher problem, and how SSLv3 gets into the mix is anybody's guess.
Perhaps I'll see clearer after some much needed sleep.

-Ralph