Hi Barbara,

On 13.12.23 15:08, Barbara M. wrote:
passdb {
   args = /etc/dovecot/master-users

Correct me if I am wrong, but IIRC, these files are read after privileges are dropped... so quick guess: is the file readable by the service user itself?

If your service runs with "dovecot" as user, try the following:

sudo -u "dovecot" test -r "/etc/dovecot/master-users"; echo $?

where 1 == error and 0 == success.

On many installations and setups, the /etc/dovecot/ directory is owned by root with 750 permission. So it might make sense to place the file somewhere else, e.g. beside instead of inside the /etc/dovecot/ dir, so you do not need to soften the permissions of the more important config files:

# ls -lah  /etc/ | grep dovecot
drwxr-x---  4 root    root    4.0K Jan 17 22:06 dovecot
-rw-r-----  1 dovecot dovecot   76 Jan  8 00:06 dovecot-masterusers-passwd

--
Regards
Andreas Haerter

foundata GmbH
Steinhäuserstr. 20
76135 Karlsruhe

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Karlsruhe
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Mannheim, HRB 714807
Geschäftsführer: Andreas Haerter
USt-IdNr.: DE284122682