On 19/05/24 04:31, Richard Rosner via dovecot wrote:
I have a mailing server setup based on Debian Stable that uses postfix (v3.7.10) for SMTP and dovecot (v2.3.19.1 (9b53102964)) for IMAP. I now wanted to set dovecot to not write to syslog, but to dedicated files in /var/log/dovecot. While everything indicates that this happens successfully as the log files gain in size, I also get lots of these errors:

   May 13 20:55:37 mail postfix/local[2824184]: 95BCF1000A9: to=<u...@domain.de>, relay=local, delay=3.2, delays=1.9/0.29/0/1.1, dsn=4.3.0, status=deferred (temporary failure. Command output: lda(user): Error: net_connect_unix(/run/dovecot/stats-writer) failed: Permission denied Can't open log file /var/log/dovecot/error.log: Permission denied )

If it would only log the complaints I wouldn't worry, but as long as I don't revert the changes in dovecot's config, mail receiving is at least vastly delayed, most likely stuck alltogether. So how am I supposed to set these settings?

I've chainged these settings in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-logging.conf:

    log_path = /var/log/dovecot/error.log
    debug_log_path = /var/log/dovecot/debug.log
    log_debug = category=error

The whole directory /var/log/dovecot is owned by dovecot:dovecot, permissions on debug.log, error.log and info.log are 644.

Check the permissions of the entire path, as dovecot:

namei -l /var/log/dovecot/error.log

It might be selinux, check your audit.log file, or set selinux to permissive mode and see if it works:

setenforce 0

It might also be apparmour (sorry don't have instructions for apparmour).

The message basically means that something is preventing the dovecot user from writing to the file, you need to figure out what that is.

Peter