On Dec 31, 2007, at 1:45 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:

Hi,

I've been thinking about some use case we might have in XWiki and I'm wondering how to solve them using Doxia.

Imagine we want the rendering process to automatically look for word definition on, say, wikipedia, and when found, highlight the word and make the definition appear when the mouse hover over the word.

This is probably not the best use case since a better way of implementing this would be with a {definition} macro.

Here's another one: adding support for wikiwords and render them as links.

Of course if this is a core feature it can be implemented in the parser itself. However in case of XWiki it's not a core feature but I know some users have asked for it. The way we currently support this is by allowing users to customize the rendering process by adding radeox filters. The way I would expect users to do it with Doxia would be by extending the XWiki Sink classes or providing their own Sink. I think it would be way harder to offer hook points into the parser for users.

How would we do this with Doxia since there's no onWord event?

Of course it's possible for the sinks to parse the strings passed to the text() event. However this is probably a job best left to the parsers IMO.

WDYT?

Wikimodel does have such an event (they even have events such as onSpace and onSpecialSymbol, onEmptyLines, onEscape, etc):
http://tinyurl.com/yuuh2d

Thanks
-Vincent