On Jan 12, 2009, at 9:31 AM, Lukas Theussl wrote:

The information is there but as meta information, it's not content- information. Eg the maven site has 100s of documents written by different people at different times, you don't want to see all that when you browse the site, do you?

I'm not sure what you mean by "all that". There are only three pieces of information: title, author, and date. I would definitely want to see these important attributes when reading the documentation about something.

The purpose of adding it is to record some information about the origin of the document, not to convey information for the end-user.

I disagree about that. Recording the origin and history of the document is already handled by the source code repository. There's no sense in duplicating that information in the APT file, unless the goal is to make it readily visible to the reader... but it's not, hence my confusion.

Looking at this another way... If you just want to include some "invisible" metadata, you can always insert it into the APT file as a comment. Any non-comments in the APT file should be visible to the reader, since that was likely the author's intent.

Trevor