> If anyone's interested, the reason that some applications
> lose their tray
> icons and some don't is because only some software authors bother to
> implement the mechanism for restoring an icon if Explorer crashes.

Hmmm... I've definitely seen this weird missing icon problem without an
explorer crash/restart.  And, I think it's a bug in Windows that we just
haven't implemented a workaround for yet.  Especially, since moving the
search bar to the right side of the taskbar makes the problem go away.

I think when someone changes the code to delay loading the XML files, that
might solve the problem.

> It seems just possible to me that our DQSDTool.dll could
> crash Explorer - I
> did think that Explorer was protected against this kind of
> problem, but
> DQSDTools _is_ in-process in explorer.exe, so it's just about
> conceivable.

That's definitely possible, but I've seen no signs of a 'crash'.