Hi Don,

> I put  alertmode=0; in the LocalPrefs.js: but I
> still got the error message. I even tried changing
> the 0 to 1, no differance. I skipped one line typed
> the alertmode. Should I have put anything in front?

Nope, It should just be that one line by itself. Reloading would
either make the error go away or not.

If it doesn't make the error go away then it's something that that
line will not correct. In that case I would recommend you uninstall
DQSD, reboot, rename the 'Quick Search Deskbar' folder to something
else (like 'Quick Search Deskbar backup'), reinstall DQSD, reboot,
turn it back on.

If, after a clean install, you still receive the error then it
eliminates DQSD as the source of the error - leaving most likely
permissions or antivirus 'script-blocking' as the culprit. With
these I can only offer very vague advice since every computer
configuration is different.

> When I reload DQSD with !>enter the message is
> instantaneous, it doesn't even have to think about
> it. It acts like it did not read what I put in there.

Depending on the speed of your computer, loading DQSD can be nearly
instantaneous. On my P4-1600/512mb it loads in about a quarter
second. I have several searches disabled (mostly 'social' and
'shopping' searches which I will never use). The thing that 'takes a
while' is the dynamic generation of the DQSD menu, which on my PC
takes about 3 seconds. I can only dreadfully imagine what that is
like on a slower computer. Even though I use DQSD every waking
moment (it seems) I hate using my wife's computer (P3-850/784mb)
because searches in DQSD take up to ten seconds to load. In that
time I could have opened a browser and typed the URL in manually. Of
course, she ALWAYS has at least 50 applications open - so I can see
how her system can operate rather sluggish.

Regards,

Shawn K. Hall
http://ReliableAnswers.com/

Count Rugen:  Could this be a trap?
Humperdink:   I always think everything could be a trap.
  That is why I am still alive.
        -- The Princess Bride