Kim,
I cant speak for everyone but I for one would welcome a first step fix in this like you have detailed. It would be nice to return those security settings to normal and run DQSD. I see what you mean about the address bar in the about window, and I am afraid I dont have much in the way of advice on that. It makes the about window less attractive to be sure but I think most would find it a minor aestetic annoyance.

I am sorry to hear that the project overall is becoming a guilty conscience issue for you. I'd be happy to help but I doubt my extensive foxpro, minor vb, and even more minor c++ skill would be much use.

I hope the project lightens up for you! Perhaps others will chime in on the security issue.

Thanks!
Richard

On 2/1/06, Kim Gräsman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Richard,

> I''m sure some of you by now have tried the new IE 7 Beta and
> noticed that you again have to apply the hacks to disable the
> security features to enable DQSD. I know I have asked this
> before but are there any plans for a workaround for this that
> doesnt require disabling security features? Kim, you last
> commented on this back in December that you would look into it?

I just installed the IE7 beta today, and it seems to run OK with my latest
experimental builds of the new host.

The code I've written to make DQSD work with SP2+ solves some of the
problems with the new security features, without tearing down the protection
for regular surfing, as far as I can see.

However, there are still a couple of open issues, of which the help window
is the most pressing; it's shown using _javascript_ that pops open a new
window, so it will run with default security settings, unaffected by all the
tomfoolery I've done to customize the browser for DQSD. That is, it shows a
yellow bar (and with IE7, an address bar - it looks horrible).

I'm still not sure how we should proceed with this... Would people like a
release of DQSD that bypasses the main problem, i.e. the initial InfoBar at
startup, but that exposes a number of other problems with popup windows,
etc? Maybe that's better than trying to solve all the problems in one go.

This is turning into a guilty conscience for me, rather than something fun
to do in my few spare hours, but maybe releasing tiny improvements rather
than a big chunk of working-ness would help :-)

- Kim