Tom, Monty,

You might want to check out the qsfreq.xml [1] search I submitted a couple
of weeks ago.  I created it for exactly the problem to which you're
referring.   I finally got annoyed enough about the fact DQSD was loading
300+ searches, and I was only probably only using a handful, to do something
about it.

A few times I started to go back through my history file to determine which
searches I actually used, but it was too much work to organize and determine
the searches used just from the history log, so I never finished it.

So, this qsfreq.xml tool records my actual search usage frequency.  Attached
is a screenshot of it displaying the searches I've used in the last 10 days
or so.

Now, the cool thing is that qsfreq will let me disable the unused searches
at any point with the /disable_unused switch.  If I find that I need a
search that I've disabled, I can call qsfreq with the /enable_all switch,
execute the switch, and then call qsfreq /disable_unused again.  The search
I just used won't be disabled because it will be in the qsfreq log.

It 'disables' the searches by renaming them to '.disabled' instead of
'.xml'.  Of course, this completely removes them from the search help.  I
also changed the install to remove any of the disabled searches, so that
after all installs, the complete set of searches would be re-enabled.  Of
course, the qsfreq log would still be there, so that you could disable
unused searches immediately after a new install.

You can enable qsfreq by setting the variable (qsfreqLogSearchFrequency)
documented in preferences.js [3].  The search isn't completely autonomous,
because it requires a small change to search.htm [2].

BTW, if someone wants to take the time to add a 'locale' property to the
searches as Tom suggested, it's probably a good idea.  At the point when we
finally add a real enable/disable capability, it would be nice to have this
locale property.  I'd recommend just adding a <locale/> element, with the
default being <locale>en</locale>, or something similar.

Thoughts?

Glenn

[1]
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/dqsd/dqsd/searches/qsfreq.xml?rev=1.3&;