Darrell Bellerive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
While a balun on the output side of a tuner will couple some energy it may not
be very efficient at some impedances.

A balun, whether 1:1 or 4:1, is designed for a specific characteristic
impedance. In most ham radio applications the transmitter side impedance is
designed for 50 ohms unbalanced. So in a 1:1 balun the antenna side should
have a resistive impedance of 50 ohms balanced and a 4:1 balun should have a
resistive impedance of 200 ohms balanced.

As the antenna impedance changes from the designed characteristic impedance by
reactance and/or resistance, the efficiency and transformation ratio will
deteriorate. Just how much will depend on the design of the balun windings,
the core material, and the resistance and reactance of the load.

As many point out, it will still work. One can lose as much as 6 to 10 dB or
more in a tuner, balun, and feedline and still make lots of contacts. QRP
operators prove this all the time.

Heating of the core material is one indicator of lost power, but remember that
the lost power will heat a small core to a much higher temperature than a
large core. So just because the core does not get too warm, doesn't mean
power isn't being lost to heat.

Modern automatic antenna tuners are hard to beat for ease of operation, but
for the highest efficiency it is hard to beat the old link coupled tuners for
balanced line applications.

All electrical systems are compromises between a number of variables such as
efficiency, cost, ergonomics, size, weight, availability of materials, etc.
Just be sure you understand the compromises you are making.

73,
Darrell
VA7TO

--