Thanks to some very nice guys on this list, who have been helpful to me, I have
determined that I have a WEIRD Drake TR 3.

My TR 3 is Serial # 6564 and since there were various versions, I now know that
the two boards between tube sockets V 18 and V 19 and the audio transformer are
wired differently than those two TR3s below #10,000 owned by my friends Doyle
and Larry. When I hook up the 3.3K resistor to the terminals used in their TR
3s I get hot resistors and SMOKE!!!!

When I put the 3.3k resistor between the top left terminal on the "forward" of
the two boards and the top right  terminal of the "next board back" from the
front the receiver works albeit it is NOT very "hot" and the crystal calibrator
reads only about S5 on the S meter. NO SMOKE when resistor is mounted between
the two boards in that manner.

Does anyone have a TR 3 which has the 3.3k resistor mounted between the two
boards at the top terminals of each???

MY schematic diagram is almost unreadable and the part designations and values
are almost unreadable. In addition, my manual and schematic did not come with
the TR 3 I have.

I love Drakes, but sometimes I think each was wired as if it was a prototype
wired and assembled by retarded CHIMPS.

Anyone have any suggestions for trouble shooting this WEIRD conglomeration
without the specific schematic and manual for this run of TR3s. Speaking of
"runs" this thing gives me the runs!!!!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to ALL!!! 73, John, K5PGW