----- Original Message ----- From: "Neil M Califano" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:07 PM
Subject: [Drakelist] New or used crystals


Are there any advantages to buying new crystals besides they might last longer?

Well, that's a consideration that may be of some importance. I am not sure of the history of change in the methods of making crystals but modern ones are made somewhat differently than those of say forty years ago. The actual processing of the crystals may be different and housing is definitely differnt since modern crystal cans are welded rather than soldered resulting in a better seal. I am not sure of the rate of crystal drift. Some other things, like precision resistors, change relatively quickly at first and then stabilize. I think some crystals are also like this. In this respect a well-aged crystal may be more stable than a new one but the nature of the mounting is important and modern crystals may not be subject to as much drift to begin with. I wish I had access to actual numbers for all this, I am sure the data must exist somewhere.


--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
WB6KBL
[email protected]

_______________________________________________
Drakelist mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.zerobeat.net/mailman/listinfo/drakelist

Reply via email to