Message: 1
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 12:42:48 -0400
From: "Steve Wedge" <w1es1...@earthlink.net>
To: "Drake List" <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Subject: [Drakelist] Watch those ball bearings!

Working on cleaning and refurbishing R-4B s/n 15533B, I removed the
PTO and started to clean and re-lube the bearings.  After some 3-in-1
oil and Rem Oil in all the usual places, it was still a little stiff,
so I removed the cover and started backing off the tension adjustment.
 I now know that it doesn't take much tension removal to make the ball
bearings start dropping onto and rolling about the table!  It was a
bit of a bear getting them all back in, but about 20 minutes later -
mission accomplished.  It's tuning smoother but I'm still feeling some
roughness when turning it by the shaft.  I suspect the action will be
easier with that big knob back on it.

Watch the bearings when adjusting tension!

The R-4B has been washed on the top only, rinsed with distilled water,
air-blasted and is now sitting in its sauna in the kitchen, where I'm
keeping the temp at around 140 to help with drying it out.  It will
get re-capped over the coming week.

73,

Steve Wedge, W1ES/4

To be is to do - Socrates
To do is to be - Plato
Do be do be do. - Sinatra

All my computers have my signature with various pearls of wisdom
appended thereto.