In addition to the "wooden stemmed tightly woven Q tips that are
made especially for electrical cleaning" mentioned by Dennis, AE6C, I also
use the brushes listed below.  A drop of DeoxIT on either goes a long way.

These brushes are great for cleaning 7 & 9 pin tube sockets:
http://www.gumbrand.com/interdental-brushes/products/gum-go-betweens-proxabrush-cleaners-wide/872rn/

These brushes are good for cleaning RCA connectors, 8 pin and other larger
tube sockets, etc:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/CAIG-LABORATORIES-AB-50-/200-288

Ken
WA2LBI