Hi all, It is time I gave all you kind folks a progress report. Found the
WB4IQK AC3/4 troubleshooting guide invaluable.  Tested all voltages with the
covers off, very carefully!  All okay.  As promised by the seller I found that
the two caps and four diodes in the 650v circuit have been renewed.  Even
though all seems to be well I will follow the advice given and approach Hayseed
to see if they will supply the new parts for the 250v part of the unit.
Surprise, when replacing the bottom cover I saw on the inside a charred patch
about an inch in diameter with a very tiny hole almost in the middle!  Never
saw that before, silly me.  Too busy examining components.  The area is
directly below the fuse holder.  Probably would have been okay at 115v but it
looks as though it arced at our voltage.  I wonder if it has happened before?
Anyway a bit of insulation and several hours running seems to suggest it is now
okay. Please though, do not let anyone think they wasted their time giving me
all that advice.  I have loads to learn and it will all be most useful to me in
the future. Fingers crossed it was time for me to try the TR4.  First problem
was that the MS4 speaker was silent!  Fortunately all was well on phones.
Turns out someone has rewired the big psu/tcvr socket with the speaker
connections now on pins 5 & 8 which lead to the VOX relay socket!  Irritating,
I believe plugs for those sockets are impossible to find and correcting this in
the tight space of that twelve connection socket will be quite a soldering
challenge for me. As for the TR4, using a short length of bellwire as an
antenna (crude I know) and a 50 ohm load for transmit all seems to be well
except for 15 metres which is as dead as can be.  Both TX and RX, nothing.  It
cannot even hear its own calibrator! Oh well, I am quite pleased really.  It
could be an awful lot worse and is probably good example of a TR4 once sorted.
Thanks again all. DamienG3XER