Sorry, I tried posting this message this morning and something apparently didn't work out correctly... :(

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 16:41:30, Eddie Chapman wrote:

There are some changes needed to your drbd configuration files when upgrading from 8 to 9. So my suggestion would be (if you really are now running drbd9 as you appear to be doing) that you go though those configuration files and make the those changes (check the drbd9 docs for what is needed), and then perhaps remove the existing v8 style init script from systemd and re-add the new v9 one that comes with your 9.5.0-2.fc30 packages.

Thanks so much for your suggestion. Even though Roland Kammerer pointed out the problem today, this helped me in understanding drbd quite a bit better as I've tried to figure out how to fix this yesterday.