Hi,

On 16 November 2016 at 11:33,  <ville.syrjala at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> It has been suggested that having per-plane modifiers is making life
> more difficult for userspace, so let's just retire modifier[1-3] and
> use modifier[0] to apply to the entire framebuffer.
>
> Obviosuly this means that if individual planes need different tiling
> layouts and whatnot we will need a new modifier for each combination
> of planes with different tiling layouts.
>
> For a bit of extra backwards compatilbilty the kernel will allow
> non-zero modifier[1+] but it require that they will match modifier[0].
> This in case there's existing userspace out there that sets
> modifier[1+] to something non-zero with planar formats.

This doesn't particularly affect Wayland or EGL either way for import:
we already need to store fd/offset/stride separately for every plane,
so holding a modifier too isn't any increase in complexity. It does
affect advertisement and negotiation though. I'll prepare some
clarifying wording for the EGL spec, to clarify that the modifier must
be equal for all planes.

Acked-by: Daniel Stone <daniels at collabora.com>

Cheers,
Daniel