On 11/05/17 17:16, Tony Lindgren wrote:

>> pinctrl-single doesn't allow to freely set the bits, but requires the
>> pins to have similar bit structure (function-mask). In CONTROL_DSIPHY,
>> DSI1 and DSI2 have different bit structures.
>
> OK if the register mixes different types of controllers that
> can't be partitioned into separate 8 or 16 bit instances then
> you're out of luck with pinctrl-single. If it does not fit, no
> point trying to force it, then you need a custom pinctrl driver.

Writing a driver for a single register on a legacy SoC feels like an
overkill... But I guess a generic pinctrl driver which allows free
writes to registers would do the trick, but, then again, if so far we
have a single register in a single SoC that needs this, maybe it's not
worth the effort.

>> I don't understand why pinctrl-single tries so hard to fit things into
>> one mold...
>
> Basically on many SoCs pinctrl is just the same exact control
> register repeated for each pin on the SoC:

Right, I was just wondering why it forces one to have a function mask,
versus allowing it to be left out and thus making it possible to handle
also cases where the pins require different kinds of bit masks.

 Tomi