On Sat, Aug 05, 2017 at 12:59:07PM +0200, Noralf Trønnes wrote:
> (I had to switch to Daniel's Intel address to get this sent)
>
> Den 05.08.2017 00.19, skrev Ilia Mirkin:

> > > Sure, if you're hotplugging, your life is pain.  For non-hotpluggable
> > > devices, like our SOC platform devices (current panel-bridge consumers),
> > > this still seems like an excellent simplification of memory management.
> > At that point you may as well make your module non-unloadable, and
> > return failure when trying to remove a device from management by the
> > driver (whatever the opposite of "probe" is, I forget). Hotplugging
> > doesn't only happen when physically removing, it can happen for all
> > kinds of reasons... and userspace may still hold references in some of
> > those cases.
>
> If drm_open() gets a ref on dev->dev and puts it in drm_release(),
> won't that delay devm_* cleanup until userspace is done?

No. drm_device is the thing that is refcounted for userspace references
like open FD (we're not perfect about it, e.g. sysfs and dma-buf/fence
don't).

devm_ otoh is tied to the lifetime of the underlying device, and that one
can get outlived by drm_device. Or at least afaiui, devm_ stuff is nuked
on unplug, and not when the final sw reference of the struct device
disappears.

Not sure tough, it's complicated.
-Daniel
--