Hi,

On 13/02/18 14:00, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> The dss_device is the top-level component in the omapdss driver. Give
> the omapdrm driver access to the dss_device pointer in order to obtain
> pointers to all other components from it. This requires a new global
> variable in the omapdss driver that will be removed when merging the
> omapdrm and omapdss drivers, but will already allow removal of several
> other global variables.

How can we support different DSS versions with this change? So far the
DSS functions used from omapdrm have been designed to be free of DSS
specific parameters, and in the TI kernel we have a separate DSS driver
for the DSS6, and omapdrm "just works" with either DSS2-5 and DSS6.

We could have the "struct dss_device *dss" and "struct dispc_device
*dispc" in omap_drv.h as "struct device" pointers instead.

Alternatively, we could just create a totally new DRM driver for DSS6,
having nothing in common with the current omapdrm. From naming
perspective that would not be so bad, as OMAP is dead =). But if we ever
get DSS7, perhaps that's again different enough that we don't want a
single DSS driver for DSS6 and DSS7.

 Tomi

--
Texas Instruments Finland Oy, Porkkalankatu 22, 00180 Helsinki.
Y-tunnus/Business ID: 0615521-4. Kotipaikka/Domicile: Helsinki