On Wed, Aug 08, 2018 at 03:09:30PM -0400, Sean Paul wrote:
> > -static const struct drm_encoder_helper_funcs tda998x_encoder_helper_funcs
> > = {
> > -   .dpms = tda998x_encoder_dpms,
> > -   .prepare = tda998x_encoder_prepare,
> > -   .commit = tda998x_encoder_commit,
> > -   .mode_set = tda998x_encoder_mode_set,
> > -};
>
> Now that encoder is a stub, it should really be removed from here. The encoder
> should be instantiated elsewhere and attach the bridge to itself. There are a
> bunch of examples of this in bridge/

That's not possible at present - this driver has to remain compatible
with Armada and TI LCDC, both of which expect this driver to create
the encoder.

In any case, bridges are buggy with unbinding/rebinding as I've pointed
out several times in the past, but TDA998x used with Armada and TI LCDC
as it currently stands are not.  So, to do this as a full conversion to
bridge and pushing the encoders into the DRM drivers results in a
regression for these two DRM drivers.  I'm not willing to accept such
a regression, sorry.

Thanks for the other cleanup suggestions, they can be done with a
later patch (these changes have already been been merged.)

--
RMK's Patch system: http://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 13.8Mbps down 630kbps up