Hi, Noralf,

On 09/11/2018 02:43 PM, Noralf Trønnes wrote:
This patchset adds a library for shmem backed GEM objects and makes use
of it in tinydrm.

When I made tinydrm I used the CMA helper because it was very easy to
use. July last year I learned that this limits which drivers to PRIME
import from, since CMA requires continuous memory. tinydrm drivers don't
require that. So I set out to change that looking first at shmem, but
that wasn't working since shmem didn't work with fbdev deferred I/O.
Then I did a vmalloc buffer attempt which worked with deferred I/O, but
maybe wouldn't be of so much use as a library for other drivers to use.
As my work to split out stuff from the CMA helper for shared use came to
an end, I had a generic fbdev emulation that uses a shadow buffer for
deferred I/O.
This means that I can now use shmem buffers after all.

I have looked at the other drivers that use drm_gem_get_pages() and
several supports different cache modes so I've done that even though
tinydrm only uses the cached one.
Out if interest, how can you use writecombine and uncached with shared memory? as typically the linear kernel map of the affected pages also needs changing?

Thanks,
Thomas