On 2018-11-14 12:52, Sean Paul wrote:
On 2018-11-14 11:57, Ville Syrjälä wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 11:43:51AM -0800, Jeykumar Sankaran wrote:

enable/disable, we
> > > can
> > > toggle

> legacy
> _after_
> > >
> > > encoder->crtc in this case. The loop in vblank_enable_no_lock
relies
> on
> > > enc->crtc == crtc

> assignments
> the

> this,
> > > we
> crtc
> > > is
> we

> > > when
> vblank_requested
> > >
> > > That case is covered by the modeset locks held when calling
disable().

> > I am sure it will take care of drm_crtc_vblank_on/off triggered
within
> > crtc_disable.
> > My question was what was the expected behaviour when
> > DRM_IOCTL_WAIT_VBLANK is
> > called when crtc is disabled? the ioctl will try to call
> > drm_vblank_get
> > and I
> > don't see the patch checking for crtc being enabled in the path.
>
> drm_vblank_off()
> // .enable_vblank/.disable_vblank will never be called here
> drm_vblank_on()
>
> So if you use drm_vblank_on/off judiciously you will never
> have to deal with this particular problem.

Thanks ville for clarifying that.

We can make sure to avoid that sequence if we have control over it. In
DPU,
CRTC calls
dpu_vblank_off in crtc_disable. After disabling, no one stopping
userspace clients to call into DRM_IOCTL_WAIT_VBLANK on the crtc. This
ioctl
calls enable_vblank when it sees the vblank is disabled [1].

That's prevented by this bit in drm_vblank.c:

        /*
         * Prevent subsequent drm_vblank_get() from re-enabling
         * the vblank interrupt by bumping the refcount.
         */
        if (!vblank->inmodeset) {
                atomic_inc(&vblank->refcount);
                vblank->inmodeset = 1;
        }

Basically it turns off the hw and then takes a reference such that
drm_vblank_get will never call drm_vblank_enable.

Sean

That explains it! Thanks Sean!

So far, the dpu_crtc_vblank was failing when it finds that the crtc is
disabled.
With this patch, the condition was removed, so I was wondering what is
the
expected behavior with this patch.

[1]
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/seanpaul/dpu-staging/blob/for-next/drivers/
gpu/drm/drm_vblank.c#L956

Thanks and Regards,
Jeykumar S.

--
Jeykumar S

--
Sean Paul, Software Engineer, Google / Chromium OS

--
Jeykumar S