On 07.01.2019 22:56, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 5:27 PM Andrzej Hajda <a.ha...@samsung.com> wrote:

>>> We could set up the device link only at drm_dev_register time. At that point
>>> we know that driver loading has fully succeeded. We do have a list of
>>> bridges at hand, so that's not going to be an issue.
>>>
>>> The only case where this breaks is if a driver is still using the
>>> deprecated ->load callback. But that ->load callback doesn't mix well with
>>> EDEFER_PROBE/component framework anyway, so I think not going to be a
>>> problem hopefully?
>>
>> drm_dev_register usually is called from bind callback, which is called from
>> probe callback of one of the components or master (depending on particular
>> probe order). If you want to register device link in this function it is
>> possible that the bad scenario will happen - there will be attempt to create
>> device link between not-yet-probed consumer and not-yet-probed provider.
> If you call drm_dev_register before you have all the components
> assembled (i.e. anywhere else than in master bind) that sounds like a
> driver bug.

This is how components work, every component calls component_add usually
in probe, and this function checks if all components are present, if yes
(ie. during probe of the last component) master bind is called and it
creates drm device and then registers it. If you add device link at this
moment, it is still before end of probe of the last component.

On the other side provider is registered (drm_bridge_add in case of
bridges) during its probe so it becomes available to the consumers
BEFORE end of its probe and again it can happen that device link will be
added to early.

Regards

Andrzej