On Tue, 22 Jan 2019, "Wentland, Harry" <harry.wentl...@amd.com> wrote:
> Would it make sense to append something like ", if such a test can be
> reasonably made using IGT for the target HW." to make it clear to
> contributors that in cases like the one discussed this is at the
> reviewers discretion?

I think the simplest change would be to say API changes SHOULD have
driver-agnostic testcases, with the RFC 2119 meaning of SHOULD:

   SHOULD   This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
   carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

I.e. s/need/should/. I think it also catches the spirit of the
discussion here; seems like everyone agrees having tests is a good goal.

You'll have to allow for reviewer/maintainer/community discretion no
matter what. Judging by the discussion, CRC based tests don't currently
meet the driver-agnostic requirement. Playing devil's advocate, you
could argue any new APIs couldn't be tested with CRC either, even if it
were the most reasonable approach for i915.

BR,
Jani.

--
Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Graphics Center