Am 30.04.19 um 16:34 schrieb Daniel Vetter:
> [CAUTION: External Email]
>
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 04:26:32PM +0200, Christian König wrote:
>>> You can't move the buffer either way, so from that point there's no
>>> difference. I more meant from an account/api point of view of whether it's
>>> ok to pin a buffer you haven't even attached to yet. From the code it
>>> seems like first you always want to attach, hence it would make sense to
>>> put the pin/unpin onto the attachment. That might also help with
>>> debugging, we could check whether everyone balances their pin/unpin
>>> correctly (instead of just counting for the overall dma-buf).
>>>
>>> There's also a slight semantic difference between a pin on an attachment
>>> (which would mean this attachment is always going to be mappable and wont
>>> move around), whereas a pin on the entire dma-buf means the entire dma-buf
>>> and all it's attachment must always be mappable. Otoh, global pin is
>>> probably easier, you just need to check all current attachments again
>>> whether they still work or whether you might need to move the buffer
>>> around to a more suitable place (e.g. if you not all can do p2p it needs
>>> to go into system ram before it's pinned).
>>>
>>> For the backing storage you only want one per-bo ->pinned_count, that's
>>> clear, my suggestion was more about whether having more information about
>>> who's pinning is useful. Exporters can always just ignore that added
>>> information.

>>> Hm, not exactly following why the exporter needs to call
>>> dma_buf_pin/unpin, instead of whatever is used to implement that. Or do
>>> you mean that you want a ->pinned_count in dma_buf itself, so that there's
>>> only one book-keeping for this?
>> Yes, exactly that is one of the final goals of this.
>>
>> We could of course use the attachment here, but that would disqualify the
>> exporter calling this directly without an attachment.
> Hm exporter calling dma_buf_pin/unpin sounds like one seriously inverted
> lasagna :-)
>
> I do understand the goal, all these imported/exporter special cases in
> code are a bit silly, but I think the proper fix would be if you just
> always import a buffer, even the private ones, allocated against some
> exporter-only thing. Then it's always the same function to call.
>
> But I'm not sure this is a good reasons to guide the dma-buf interfaces
> for everyone else. Moving pin to the attachment sounds like a better idea
> (if the above is the only reason to keep it on the dma-buf).

Yeah, that's on my mind as well. But I'm running into a chicken and egg
problem here again.

Basically we need to convert the drivers to do their internal operation
using the DMA-buf as top level object first and then we can switch all
internal operation to using a "normal" attachment.

Additional to that it simply doesn't looks like the right idea to use
the attachment as parameter here. After all we pin the underlying
DMA-buf and NOT the attachment.

Christian.