On Sat, May 11, 2019 at 08:17:47AM +0200, Knut Omang wrote:
> On Fri, 2019-05-10 at 15:18 -0700, Frank Rowand wrote:

> > selected

> > > Yep! I have been since LPC in 2017.

> > > Awesome! I appreciate it.

> > macro
> > >
> > > Heh, heh. That's actually the way I had it in the earliest versions of
> > > KUnit! But that was pretty much the very first thing everyone
> > > complained about. I think I went from no prefix (like you are
> > > suggesting) to TEST_* before the first version of the RFC at the
> > > request of several people I was kicking the idea around with, and then
> > > I think I was asked to go from TEST_* to KUNIT_* in the very first
> > > revision of the RFC.
> > >
> > > In short, I am sympathetic to your suggestion, but I think that is
> > > non-negotiable at this point. The community has a clear policy in
> > > place on the matter, and at this point I would really prefer not to
> > > change all the symbol names again.
> >
> > This would not be the first time that a patch submitter has been
> > told "do B instead of A" for version 1, then told "do C instead of
> > B" for version 2, then told "do A instead of C" for the final version.
> >
> > It sucks, but it happens.

Sure, I have been there before, but I thought those original opinions
were based on a pretty well established convention. Also, I don't think
those original opinions have changed. If they have, please chime in and
correct me.

> Sorry, I must have overlooked the B instead of A instance - otherwise
> I would have objected against it - in addition to the recognizability
> and portability issue I think it is important that these primitives are
> not unnecessary long since they will be written a *lot* of times if things go
> our way.

I get that. That is why I thought I might have been worthy of an
exception. It is definitely easier to write EXPECT_EQ(...) than
KUNIT_EXPECT_EQ(...) or TEST_EXPECT_EQ(...), but no one else seemed to
agree in the past.

Even now, it is only you (and maybe Frank?) telling me to change it; I
would like to maybe hear Shuah, Kees, or Greg chime in on this before I
go about actually chaning it back, as I distinctly remember each of them
telling me that I should go with KUNIT_*.

> And the reason for using unique names elsewhere is to be able to co-exist with
> other components with the same needs. In the case of tests, I believe they
> are

That's the policy I was talking about.

> in a different category, they are not supposed to be part of production
> kernels,
> and we want them to be used all over, that should warrant having the ASSERT_
> and EXPECT_
> prefixes "reserved" for the purpose, so I would urge some pragmatism here!

I don't disagree. Again, this is what I initially proposed, but no one
agreed with me on this point.

I am not saying no. Nevertheless, this is a pretty consistently applied
pattern for new stuff, and I would really prefer not to make waves on
something that really doesn't matter all that much.

So like I said, if we can get some more discussion on this and it seems
like broad consensus says we can reserve ASSERT_* and EXPECT_*, then I
will go along with it.

> > As an aside, can you point to where the "clear policy in place" is
> > documented, and what the policy is?

Global namespacing policy that Knut mentioned above.

> > -Frank

> > > You mean the Googletest/Googlemock expectations/assertions?
> > >
> > > It's a great library (with not so great a name), but unfortunately it
> > > is written in C++, which I think pretty much counts it out here.
>
> Using a similar syntax is a good thing, since it makes it easier for people
> who write tests in user land frameworks to contribute to the kernel tests.
> And if, lets say, someone later comes up with a way to run the KUnit tests in
> "real"
> user land within Googletest ;-) then less editing would be needed..

> > and
> > >
> > > I think that would be cool, but again, I don't think this will be
> > > possible with Googletest/Googlemock.
>
> I was thinking of moves between KUnit tests and KTF tests, kernel code only.
> Some test functions may easily be usable both in a "pure" mocking environment
> and in an integrated setting with hardware/driver/userspace dependencies.

Speaking for KUnit, you are right. I got KUnit working on other
architectures a couple revisions ago (apparently I didn't advertise that
well enough).

> > > I am glad you think so!
> > >
> > > If your biggest concern on my side is test macro names (which I think
> > > is a no-go as I mentioned above), I think we should be in pretty good
> > > shape once you are ready to move forward. Besides, I have a lot more
> > > KUnit patches coming after this: landing this patchset is just the
> > > beginning. So how about we keep moving forward on this patchset?
>
> I think the importance of a well thought through
> test API definition is not to be underestimated

I agree. That is why I am saying that I think we are in good shape if we
are only arguing about the name.

> - the sooner we can unify and establish a common base, the better,
> I think.

Again, I agree. That is what I am trying to do here.

> My other concern is, as mentioned earlier, whether UML is really that
> different from just running in a VM wrt debugging support, and that
> there exists a better approach based on automatically generating
> an environment where the test code and the source under test
> can be compiled in a normal user land program. But it seems
> there are enough clients of the UML approach to justify it
> as a lightweight entry. We want to make it easy and inexcusable
> not to test the code, having a low bar of entry is certainly good.

Yep.

> Other than that, I really would need to spend some more time with
> the details on KUnit to verify my so far fairly
> shallow observations!

Are we arguing about anything other than naming schemes here? If that's
it, we can refactor the under the hood stuff later; if we even need to
at all.

Cheers!