On 21/05/2019 17:18, Andrzej Hajda wrote:

DisplayPort spec talks about doing the display-props reading and EDID reading
when
handling HPD.

I think it would be best to change the code so that we read display props and
EDID in HPD,
but so that we also can read them later (when needed, probably bridge enable and
get_modes) if we haven't done the reads already. I've had this in mind since I
started the
series, but as it didn't feel like a simple change, I left it for later.

My approach and experience suggest that detect, should be rather
lightweight and should not modify state, I am not even sure if it is
called at all on forced connector.

I just realized that this is not exactly perfect...

Link training can adjust the link speed and/or number of lanes, although the driver doesn't support this at the moment. The speed and number of lanes affect the video modes that are possible, so they affect get_modes.

So... I think the driver should set up the link fully before get_modes get called, instead of leaving the link setup to the point where we enable the bridge. Maybe... This is not exactly clear to me =).

In any case, I think that's future work. I have changed the code to read the display props in get_modes(), and I have another small fix too. I'll send v4 this week, and hopefully we can get this merged.

 Tomi

--
Texas Instruments Finland Oy, Porkkalankatu 22, 00180 Helsinki.
Y-tunnus/Business ID: 0615521-4. Kotipaikka/Domicile: Helsinki