On Fri, Oct 04, 2019 at 06:15:11AM -0700, Michel Lespinasse wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 5:26 PM Jason Gunthorpe <j...@ziepe.ca> wrote:
> > Hurm, this is not entirely accurate. Most users do actually want
> > overlapping and multiple ranges. I just studied this extensively:
>
> (Just curious, are you the person we discussed this with after the
> Maple Tree talk at LPC 2019 ?)

Possibly!

> I think we have two separate API problems there:
> - overlapping vs non-overlapping intervals (the interval tree API
> supports overlapping intervals, but some users are confused about
> this)

I think we just have a bunch of confused drivers, ie the two drm
drivers sure look confused to me.

> - closed vs half-open interval definitions

I'm not sure why this is a big problem..

We may actually just have bugs in handling the '-1' as it is supposed
to be written as start + (size-1) so that start + size == ULONG_MAX+1
works properly.

> > hfi1/mmu_rb definitely needs overlapping as it is dealing with
> > userspace VA ranges under control of userspace. As do the other
> > infiniband users.
>
> Do you have a handle on what usnic is doing with its intervals ?
> usnic_uiom_insert_interval() has some complicated logic to avoid
> having overlapping intervals, which is very confusing to me.

I don't know why it is so complicated, but I can say that it is
storing userspace VA's in that tree.

I have some feeling this driver is trying to use the IOMMU to create a
mirror of the userspace VA

Userspace can request the HW be able to access any set of overlapping
regions and so the driver must intersect all the ranges and compute a
list of VA pages to IOMMU map. Just guessing.

Jason